Electric Lawn Mower: Better And Faster Than Grass Trimmers
If you have a huge lawn that needs trimming all the time, you can either get a grass trimmer which requires frequent line replacement as it often breaks or you can make your lawn care a simple and quick task by getting an electric lawn mower. If you have been using a grass trimmer, you will know how frustrating it is to replace the twine, especially when it got tangled in the motor housing. It's even more troublesome if you're using a gas-powered grass trimmer as you have to deal with the gas and oil mixture, as well as the tune up and maintenance routines. Furthermore, because of its heavy weight, it can be quite tiring on the hands if you use it for more than a few minutes.
An electric start lawn mower on the other hand, is very easy on the hands as you do not need to carry it with your hands to operate it. With a push of the start button, the mower's steel blade will start spinning away and you can pretty much push it around like a shopping cart to mow your lawn. This makes the whole yard trimming process fun and quick. If you're completely new to lawn care, it is suggested that you choose an electric lawn mower because it's more user-friendly and it will save you a lot headaches.
Electric Mower vs. Gasoline Mower
With gas and oil prices on the rise, many home owners prefer to use electric lawn mowers because they are cheaper to operate and maintain. The good thing about electric-powered lawn mowers is that they are more environmentally friendly. Although gasoline-powered lawn mowers have a more powerful motor, they can be very noisy and the fumes they produce is harmful to your health, not to mention the environment. Furthermore, gasoline mowers are also quite expensive and you have to rely on gasoline to operate the mower. Gasoline mowers are also notoriously famous for their starting time as you need to play with the pull cord for a while before you can get the motor started. Nevertheless, they are great if you're looking for a mower than is powerful enough to cut through thick yards with tall and dense grass.
On the other hand, an electric lawn mower is safer, lighter, and quieter. If you don't want to be concerned or interrupted by any cords, choose a cordless lawn mower. Although cordless mowers are more flexible as you don't have to deal with the limitation of the length of the power cord, you will still need to cope with the problem of battery life. Believe it or not, most of the time, it is impossible to finish a mowing job in a single charge. So to ensure that you can trim your lawn smoothly without having to worry about battery power, just make sure you buy the a few rechargeable batteries and have them charged too.
Things You Should Consider Before Buying An Electric Lawn Mower
When choosing an electric lawn mower, there are a few important features you need to look out for:
- Size of the cutting deck. Wider cutting deck = faster trimming time. Nevertheless, mowers with wider cutting deck can be quite bulky. If you don't have much storage space for a lawn mower, avoid choosing a model with a large cutting deck.
- Design. Always choose a mower that has a compact design because it will easier to maneuver and store away, especially if you only have small garden shed.
- Grass bag. Unless you already have a leave blower of some sort, collecting clippings manually can be a very frustrating and time consuming experience. If you want to save time, get an electric lawn mower that comes with a detachable grass bag so that it can mulch and bag at the same time. Why waste time when you can do everything at once?
- Blade. Always make sure that it is equipped with a steel blade that's durable.
- Size of the wheels. When it comes to mowing, larger is always better and faster. A mower with larger wheels will be easier to handle, even when the terrain is uneven or rough. As a rule of thumb, choose models with at least 7-inch-diameter wheels in the rear for maximum support and ease of use.
- Self-Propelled. Although using a lawn mower is just like pushing a cart, it does require energy to push, especially when it is a heavy mower. If you have an uneven yard with irregular contour, buying an electric lawn mower that features self-propelled is a must as it can save you a lot of energy while maneuvering it.
- Warranty. Only choose electric lawn mowers that come with at least a 2-year warranty.
- Safety. Always choose an electric lawn mower that is designed with safety in mind. Safety features such as blade-brake and rubber flap are there to protect you.
Top Electric Start Lawn Mowers Reviews
Black & Decker LM175. This is a rock solid electric lawn mower that's user friendly and reliable. It has an 18-inch cutting blade but it isn't self-propelled. Nevertheless, it is lightweight so pushing it back and forth shouldn't be a problem for most people. The only downsides to this mower are that it can only be operated via the power cord (not cordless) and the optional mulching bag is way too small, especially if you have a large yard.
Sun Joe MJ401E. This 12 amp electric lawn mower features a compact design which makes it very easy to maneuver and store away. It features a three position manual height adjustment which makes it easy for you to adjust the blade's performance to your lawn's needs. It can cut up to 2.4 inches deep.
Earthwise 60120. This is basically a cordless lawn mower that comes with a powerful 24-volt removable battery which supplies enough power to handle most lawn in a single charge. It's more expensive than most electric-powered models. It also has a 3-in-1 design which you can use as a mulching mower, a side discharge mower, and a rear bag mower.
WORX WG783. This is also another cordless lawn mower that is powered by a rechargeable 24-volt battery. It is designed for smaller yards and it is equipped with an adjustable mowing height which you can adjust from 1.8 to 3.3 inches. It comes with a mulch insert and grass bag.
What Can You Do To Increase Your Electric Lawn Mower's Life Span?
To ensure that your electric lawn mower will continue to serve you for years to come, you should clean the mower after using it. Also make sure that you keep the blade sharp or replace the blade if necessary. For more information, refer to your user manual for instructions on routine maintenance.
With an electric lawn mower, you will no longer consider lawn care a chore. Because it uses electricity, your lawn will not smell like gas fumes when you have finished trimming it. It is also environmentally friendly and a lot quieter than a gas-powered mower. It is important to note that most electric lawn mowers that come with batteries can be used cordless but they tend to be more expensive than gas-powered mowers. For your own safety, make sure that you wear your safety goggles when operating a lawn mower.